Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Hey! The world is beautiful!

I think sometimes that it would be in my best interest to write a little softer; to put a bit of sweetness in my sentences. I tell my friend who happens to be a poet, and an idealist, that I feel my writing is irreverent and angry. She likes it, and tells me she wants to be less of an idealist. I like her idealism. She likes my "honesty". Often, it makes me sad when I look back at what I've written. I come off as someone who believes that nothing is sacred. How untrue.

Why can't I write about rainbows without smearing them in shit?

I've seen rainbows. I love rainbows. I smile anytime I see one. I practically go gaga when there's two in the sky. I'm a grinning idiot telling strangers to look up and behold the double glory. Yet, I don't write about rainbows, or soft winds, or about the wonders of the natural world. I
nstead, I carelessly toss out tragedies, regard them with flippancy, and fasten thoughts with an expletive or two.
What do I have to complain about, really?